A general name for several types of short-term schools for evangelistic workers and colporteurs, such as Bible schools, Bible institutes, and biblical institutes. These schools began about 1874 and continued into the early years of the present century, when their functions were taken over by the theological departments of denominational colleges and by colporteur institutes ( see Literature Evangelist ). In several instances, particularly overseas, these institutes developed into denominational schools. One of the early announcements of such an institute sets forth its objectives and procedures: “It is proposed to hold in Battle Creek, Mich., commencing at the close of the present term of school, about the middle of December next, a series of exercises to be conducted by Elds. White, Smith, and others. . . . The work proposed to be done is to give instruction theoretical and practical in regard to the presentation of the present truth before the people, as Teachers’ Institutes give instruction in regard to the theory and practice of teaching. “The object to be accomplished is to aid our preachers in a better preparation for the work of publicly presenting the truth, and to instruct such as may be desirous of at once engaging in that work, who know not how to spend a long time in preparing. The exercises will consist of, say two lectures each day, with reviews and examinations; and the time employed will be about three weeks” ( Review and Herald 44:120, Sept. 29, 1874). Institutes were held at various places, among them Oakland, California, in 1877 ( ibid. 49:140, May 3, 1877). A synopsis of lectures given there by James White and Uriah Smith was published under the title The Biblical Institute: A Synopsis of Lectures on the Principal Doctrines of Seventh-day Adventists. In the same year, a biblical institute was held in South Lancaster, Massachusetts, and in 1878 one was held at Rome, New York ( ibid. 51:72, Feb. 28, 1878). In 1883 S. N. Haskell conducted a 10-day Bible Reading Institute intended especially to train colporteurs to give Bible readings. Also in 1883 the churches in Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan raised $3,000 to establish a permanent training school for Bible instructors and home and foreign missionaries. The site chosen was Chicago, where a school under the name Central Bible School was operated first by the International Tract and Missionary Society, and later by the General Conference. In 1887 the General Conference in session recommended that a building be erected in Chicago to house the school. In response the Illinois Conference in 1889 built a four-story brick structure with 38 rooms at a cost of $28,000, and deeded it to the General Conference Association. By 1893 the building became inadequate to meet the growing needs, and arrangements were made to conduct the school at Battle Creek College. The property was sold to the Medical Missionary and Benevolent Association. Directors of the Central Bible School included James Sawyer, D. T. Shireman, G. B. Starr, Mrs. G. B. Starr, Maria Huntley, and E. J. Waggoner. Another attempt to prepare workers in short-term training sessions was made in New York City in 1901 by S. N. Haskell and his wife. This institute-type course, named Bible Training School in the General Conference Bulletin, was short-lived. See also Bible Schools and Institutes ; General Conference Bible Schools .